Monday, March 2, 2009

Mayo Clinic Update


So I'm back from Rochester MN, and I have to say I have thawed out some. It was a long flight in, so much snow on Thursday in Minneapolis I thought they were going to turn the plane back around to Portland. Stayed at a funky old hotel right across from the Mayo Clinic, which is accessed either by the sky walkway or the underground tunnel. Absolutely bizarre, the whole downtown is connected this way so you never really have to go outside, which I immediately loved as it was 0 degrees the morning of my appointment. Here would be appropriate to give a huge shout out to my brother in law Brian and his glowing wife Sue, who took great care of me during my stay in the Arctic - I mean Rochester.

Anyway, it seems some of you are anxious to hear about this appointment! I met with Dr Alberts, a very distinguished doctor that I wish I could have back in Bend, he is just so knowledgeable and nice and experienced - i.e, gray, and not bright eyed and bushy tailed like my doc in Bend. The appointment was short, very informative, and to the point. He says that it is more than likely cancer of the small intestine, but he will stick with the official verdict of 'cancer of unknown primary' - but it is NOT pancreatic - which makes me do a little dance. He advised a completely different regimen of chemo than the two others docs before him, and did not ask for any other tests or such. Just said ' go home, get chemo, get better'. I believe that this chemo will shrink down those nasty cancer cells until they disappear forever - and at the same time I will remain in vibrant health!

So that's the plan. Right now I am waiting for the local office to schedule my appointments to get my chemo 'class' - sounds captivating! - and to get a 'port' in, which is (I guess) kind of like a souped up IV placement pad for the chemo treatments. All this should happen sometime later this week. I'm glad I went to Mayo, and quite satisfied with the appt. One other funny thing... Dr. Alberts also had some 'good' news - he does NOT think I have celiac! I'm taking it easy (no, I did not go out and eat a giant waffle right away!) but so far he seems to be correct. Ha ha, right?

For now, I am enjoying time with my boys and noticing the beauty and relevance in every moment. Brice had roses for me when I returned from MN, and each day they are so differently beautiful and smell more complex... life is amazingly good if you let it be, no matter where you are. Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. WOW... WOW... WOW! What a blessing that you were able to go to the Mayo clinic. You are SO strong and I know you can fight this!! That is amazing too that you can have a less strict diet. Hello comfort foods! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon! I just love reading your blog you know that? You are a very good writer. As far as I am from you, I'm feeling really good about your Mayo appointment. That doctor sounded very confident in all that is happening with you. Take care of yourself my friend and looking forward to the next time you write:)
    I love you Sharon!
    ~Cristina

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such great news Sharon..Finally!! Who ever thought I would say that about a cancer diagnosis?!? Now I must go re-apply my make up before I go to work. I guess I got a little excited :)

    Love You!
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sharon-woohoo! This is cause for celebration, roses, waffles, whatever your pleasure is! You are such a beautiful, vibrant, alive young woman. This experience sounds like Coyote Wisdom-the Trickster shows up in funny ways to teach us what we most need to know. You sound like after all you've been through, you are very appreciative of all that really matters. The nurses at the chemo clinic are really great, best wishes as you enter this life giving treatment. Love, Toni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sharon, you are so right, be in the moment! because each and every one counts. Its not easy to do and the path can be rough, but it's all about the journey.

    Positive Vibes your direction,
    Lisa
    Old friend of Amy's

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharon,
    I was holding my breath reading your blog and when I was done my gray hair had turned white!!! What a great prognosis!!!! It must be energizing for you to hear such good news. I am left with one question as to why the dr. suspects you don't have Celiac. Sometimes the blood tests for it come back as a false negative and an esophogoscopy is more definitive. It is a tough diagnosis. In any event you are on the road to good health and there is no speed limit now!!!!!! GO! GO! GO! Many hugs, Shayla

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sharon!
    I too was holding my breath and it all came out in a big woosh when you typed no pancreatic. The port will be the launching pad for the chemo. They won't have to access a vein everytime that you go in. It will ready to rock and roll. The fight is on sister!! Count me in the troops. I love you.
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah! One C-word down, one C-word to go!
    -V

    ReplyDelete